Thursday, 10 January 2013

Pisang Goreng Pasir

It is raining almost every day here in semarang. I can't stop thinking of something warm for the always hungry tummies on these cold days. That afternoon pisang goreng (fried banana) sounds a yummy choice, since I saw saba bananas on the basket of the veggie seller.

This time I made pisang goreng pasir. Back about 2 or 3 years ago, this kind of fried banana was so popular in Jakarta. It is a banana that is coated in thick flour batter then breadcrumbs and deep fried. The breadcrumbs gave a crunchy sandy (pasir) texture. From many recipes I found, I chose one from mba Yulyan's blog. It sounds simpler, doesn't need egg and baking powder or soda but milk powder. The result was sooo good. My daughter gave it a thumb. She asked me to fry some again the next morning for her school snack and said that they were still crunchy and crispy at recess time... Bravo!


Ingredients:

Saba bananas, medium ripe

For batter:
200 gr flour
2 tbs milk powder
2 tbs caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
200 ml water

Enough breadcrumbs for coating
Oil for deep frying (I used coconut oil)




Methods:

Peel banana, put it between 2 plastic sheets, flatten it using a cutting board 
(I thinly slice lengthwise the banana and open it like a fan). Set aside.
In a bowl, mix well all ingredients for the batter until smooth and thick.
Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Set next to the batter.
Heat oil on a wok. Dip a banana in the batter, then coat with breadcrumbs.
Fry until golden brown.
Remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel. 
Enjoy  warm.


After taking photos and gobbled up most of the bananas and coffee, thought in my mind to practice low-key lighting photo using the rest of them. Here they are. What do you think?