I like to dissolve instant yeast in some lukewarm water before I start making bread. With this way, I will know whether my yeast is still fresh or not. In about 10 - 15 minutes, the fresh yeast will frothy while the dead yeast will keep staying like it is, not changing at all. If I find my yeast frothy then it means good, I can continue making bread. If it is dead? throw it in the sink and start again with another yeast. Dead yeast doesn't work!
So, when I see a recipe that need 100 ml cold water like this potato bread recipe I used here, I will divided it into 2: 30 - 50 ml warm water and 70 - 50 ml cold water. Why? Because yeast likes warm and comfortable environment to live. How warm? As warm as we feel comfort. So, usually I pour warm water into a cup and I dip my finger in it. If my finger can stay there comfortably, so can the yeast.
by sajian sedap
100 ml icy cold water (me: 50 ml warm+ 5o ml cold)
2 tsp instant yeast
100 gr potato, steamed and mashed (me: 200 gr)
400 gr bread flour (me: 500 gr)
75 gr sugar
15 gr milk powder
75 gr margarine (me: 60 ml oil)
2 eggs (me: 3 egg yolk)
egg yolk for egg wash
sweet condensed milk
sweet condensed milk
grated cheddar cheese
- Dissolve yeast in 50 ml warm water. Set aside.
- Combine mashed potato, flour, milk powder, sugar, and egg with a wooden spoon.
- When the yeast is already frothy, pour it into the mixture.
- Pour the cold water little by little (we may not use all the water, just as needed) and knead until all are well blended. We can use the mixer with the dough hook or just our hands.
- Add oil (or margarine/butter if you like) and salt and knead again until the dough is elastic.
- Round the dough into a big ball and put in the greased big bowl. Cover with cling wrap or damp tea towel and let rise until double in size for about 60 minutes.
- Punch the dough. Knead again briefly.
- Cut the dough into 35 gr each, roll it into an oval shape and place it on a greased baking pan.
- Cover and let rise again for another 60 minutes or so.
- Heat the oven. Brush the bread with egg yolk. Bake until golden brown.
- For the custard-cheese, slice lengthwise the bread, pipe the custard in the middle and sprinkle with cheese. For beef floss bread, mix mayonnaise and sweet condensed milk with the ratio 2:1. Spread the the mixture on the bread and sprinkle with lot of beef floss.