Sunday 15 July 2012

Chickpea patties

I found an old photo in my folder. Here it is, the chickpea patties photo. I remember making this when I was still living in Perth last year. Chickpea is totally a new thing for me. I never see it, never know about it, never taste it in Indonesia. On the contrary, I saw it easily in every supermarket and asian store in Perth.
Chickpea or garbanzo bean is widely used in Indian cuisine. As I read in coles baby magazine, it is a good source of protein, zinc, folate and fiber. Yes, it is a good food. That's why that magazine suggested it as a super food for toddler. 
That day I tried to make it into a patties. Others usually eat it with yoghurt dipping sauce but my children prefer tomato sauce. 



Ingredients:
1 cup dry chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled
1 cup frozen corn kernel
1 cup frozen peas
Spring onions, finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste



Methods:
Heat about 1 tbs oil, saute the garlic and onions until fragrant and tender. Remove and let it cool slightly.
Steam the corn and peas until tender.
In a food processor, pulse together cooked chickeas, peas and half the corn. 
Add garlic, onion, and egg. Pulse again until well mixed.
Transfer to a bowl. Add the spring onion and the rest of the corn. 
Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. 
Shape the mixture into a small ball and press it lightly. 
Heat about 2 tbs oil in a non stick frying pan. Cook the chickpea patties until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment