Saturday 28 July 2012

gluten free banana chiffon cake

I have to thanks to God that my family do not have any problem with gluten. That's way I can easily bake cakes, cookies, or breads using wheat flour. But recently I become more interested in baking gluten free, since I read that too much gluten actually is not really good for our body.

So, this cake is a gluten-free version of my banana and gloutinous rice chiffon cake. I am quite happy with this cake. It came out beautiful. It had the same texture with the wheat-version of chiffon cake, light, moist and fluffy. Although that the taste is a bit slightly different. It is pretty tasty, only that we are not familiar with it.



Ingredients
The original recipe
60 gr plain flour
50 gr glutinous rice flour
35 gr caster sugar
1/2 tsp spekoek powder 
50 ml oil
30 ml coconut milk
75 gr bananas, mashed
5 egg yolks
5 eggs whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
75 gr sugar


What I did
80 gr rice flour
20 gr sagoo flour
10 gr maizena
35 gr caster sugar
3 tbs corn oil
105 gr overripe banana, mashed (weighed unskinned)
6 egg yolks
6 eggs whites
1/4 tsp salt
50 gr caster sugar
vanilla

I substituted the total amount of plain and gloutinuous rice flour for the mix of rice four, sagoo flour, and maizena.  I omitted the spekoek powder (my children do not like its taste :( ... ) and the cream of tartar. I also substituted the coconut milk for another mashed bananas. Because my eggs were extra small, I then added another 1 egg yolk and 1 egg white, if your eggs are extra large I think you do not need to do so. I also added a bit of vanilla for the flavour. Last, because banana is a good substitute for oil and sugar, then I reduced the amount of oil and sugar.  


Methods
  • Preheat the oven
  • In a bowl, place mashed banana and oil. Mix well.
  • Sift together all flour. Add the caster sugar. Mix well.
  • Gradually pour the bananas and oil mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well using a ballon whisk. Add the egg yolks. Mix well.
  • Beat egg whites until foamy, gradually add salt and sugar, beat on high speed until just before stiff peak.
  • Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the egg yolk batter until fully incorporated.
  • Pour the batter into ungreased 20 cm chiffon pan. Bang the pan lightly a few times against the table top or floor to release the air bubbles.
  • Bake for 60 minutes. Do not open the oven during the baking!
  • Invert the pan and let it completely cool before removing the cake from the pan.
Note:
This cake is best eaten at the day it is baked. It will be a bit dry on the next day.



Update 5/7/2012: If you want to see the round up of this event please go to hankerie

No comments:

Post a Comment