Thursday 9 August 2012

Gluten free cookies: (not so) Hello kitty cookies

I am so happy that cookies made of rice flour are featured on the newest Indonesian cooking tabloid, KOKI. It suits my desire for going gluten free lately. 

I know that I am not good at drawing. So, I am not good in decorating a cake or cookie as well. This cookie should be a hello kitty cookie, look like hello kitty. But mine? ...ha ha...


Ingredients:
Source: Tabloid Koki

125 gr rice flour
35 gr cornstarch
1 tbs milk powder
1/4 tsp baking powder (I didn't use it)
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
100 gr margarine (I used half butter and half margarine)
75 gr caster sugar (I used only 50gr)
1 egg
I add 1 pandan leaf
100 gr dark cooking chocolate
100 gr pink cooking chocolate
Chocolate chips

Methods:

Toast the rice flour with 1 pandan leaf until the leaf is crisp. Set aside and let it cool.
In a bowl, whisk together toasted rice flour, cornstarch, milk powder, baking powder (if using) and vanilla. Set aside.
Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg. 
Gradually add the flour (while sifting) to the butter mixture. 
Use a spatula to mix it until well incorporated.
Put the dough into a piping bag.
Pipe a cat's face shape on a greased baking sheet.
Place 2 chocolate chips as the eyes.
Bake 150C for 35 minutes or until done.
Remove and let to cool.
Decorate with the melted dark and pink cooking chocolate.


The taste of this cookie is as good as the one made of wheat flour. It's even crunchier. My children love it. This cookie doesn't spread and remain pale after baking (not golden brown). So, be careful with the baking time, don't rely on its colour for the sign of doneness...or it will be overbake ^^


Enjoy!
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment