Thursday 24 January 2013

Roti Maryam



For health reason, I try to avoid margarine recently. I prefer to use oil or butter in baking. But for this one, I break it. That one is roti maryam, my favourite flatbread that I grow up with. 

Other region called it roti canai, roti cane, or roti konde. Since I was a kid, I often bought this yummy bread at Bahyan store. I do not know exactly is it the name of the store or the owner. Everybody in Pekalongan just said Bahyan for that store. Until now, when I visit my hometown, I still come to Bahyan to buy it ... :)

I found this recipe at tabloid nova and tried to make it myself this morning. The ingredient part is so simple, but the 'how to' is a bit tricky. We need to pay attention on spreading the dough as thin as possible to form its flaky texture. Then, the dough should be really elastic. I found that the longer I let the dough rest, the more elastic it will be. So, don't be in a rush in making this bread, the longer it rest the better ... ^^


Roti Maryam
By tabloid Nova

Ingredients:
250 gr flour
1/2 tsp salt
175 gr margarine
125 ml warm water


Direction:

  • Combine flour, salt and 25 gr margarine in a bowl. Add water a little at a time. Knead until the dough is smooth and pliable. (I used a hand mixer with the dough hook and added an extra 10 gr margarine to make the dough more elastic). 
  • Roll the dough into a big ball. Brush with oil. Cover with plastic sheet and kitchen towel. Let sit for at least 30 minutes or so.
  • Cut the dough into 10. Roll it out and place on a greased baking pan. (Because the dough seem not elastic enough after the first rest, I brush them again with oil, cover with kitchen towel and let sit for another 1 hour or so)
  • Transfer one dough to a greased tabletop. Roll it out with a rolling pin until really really thin. Spread margarine evenly (15 gr according to the recipe but mine is just about half of that). Roll it up into a long rope shape. Twist and pull to make it even longer and thin. 
  • Coil both side until they meet in the center and stack one on top of another.
  • Repeat for all the dough. (I let them sit for another 1 hour or so).
  • Heat a non stick pan on medium. Brush with margarine. 
  • Take one dough, gently flatten it and fry until golden brown on both sides.


Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I love roti canai, fortunately we can get really good ones here in mamak shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sejujurnya blm pernah mkn roti beginian hihi..dan sepertinya prosesnya rada ribet juga yah...:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enak lho mba, gurih, semua di rumahku suka...kalau udah nyoba sekali dua terasa ga ribet kok he..he..

      Delete
  3. enak ya mba anna deket rumahnya ada yg jual... sy baru kenal roti ini pas umroh tahun 2003... bahyan store itu toko arab atau apa mba koq jual canai?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karena di Pekalongan banyak orang keturunan arab nya, maka dari kecil aku udah kenal ini Analisa...iya toko kelontong & oleh2 haji di daerah kampung arab.

      Delete
  4. pengeen mbikin, tapi kapan yaa? mood nya ga dateng2 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayo dicoba, aku juga mau coba lagi karena sejujurnya aku kurang puas dengan resep ini ummu Fatima, kurang rich gitu...mungkin mau aku tambahin kuning telur ^^

      Delete
  5. mbak Anna..apa kabar, lama sekali gak apdet..sehat2 saja kah?
    semoga cepat kembali ke dunia perblogging-an yah..heheheh..

    ReplyDelete